For the documents can be used abroad in a country that has not signed the Hague Convention, it usually needs to be legalized at the embassy.

Embassy legalization step by step:

1. Select the country in which the document is to be used on the right side.

2. Place an order and pay on the site.

3. Submit the document to:
Box 7145
10387 Stockholm

4. Once the document has been legalized, it is then sent to your address.


Visit us at, Kungsgatan 37, 11156, Stockholm.

What is legalization at the embassy?

Legalization via an embassy is the process of presenting a document to an embassy for authentication and is a mandatory step for many countries before a document can be used in the country the embassy represents.

Before a document is submitted for legalization by the embassy, it may also need to be notarized by a Notary Public, certified by the Chamber of Commerce or legalized by the Foreign Ministry。

Legalization via the embassy can be a long process with many country-specific guidelines that must be strictly followed. Before a document is submitted, we will ensure that it complies with local authority requirements.

We offer a complete legalization service, including arranging any steps prior to embassy legalization. Use our online contact form to discuss your document legalization needs.

Which documents can be legalized at the embassy?

Both commercial and personal documents can be legalized by embassies. The majority of embassies, however, require that the documents be issued in Sweden or have a strong connection to Sweden.

For example, an education certificate issued outside Sweden for a Swedish citizen, most likely has to be legalized in the country where the certificate was issued. Each embassy has its own regulations so each situation is different.

The embassy’s legalization does not guarantee the content of the documents. In terms of which documents are to be legalized, the applicant must always contact the local authority where the documents are to be used.

Example: when a Swedish citizen registers his marriage with a Chinese citizen in China, the Chinese authorities in different cities have different requirements. In some cities they require proof of civil registration from the Tax Agency, while others may require a marriage certificate to be legalized by the embassy in Sweden.

What are the most common documents legalized by the embassies?

Personal documents such as:
• Birth certificate
• Marriage certificate
• Passport copy
• Death certificate
• Power of attorney
• Decision on divorce
• Testament
• Criminal records

Commercial documents such as:
• Shareholder agreement
• Business registration certificate
• Power of attorney
• Judgment
• Commercial invoices

What is the Hague Convention and Apostille?

The Hague Convention of 1961 established a uniform process for authenticity. Countries belonging to this convention accept documents stamped with an Apostille.

For the countries that are not members of the The Hague Convention, it is required that the documents be legalized via the country’s embassy or consulate. This process confirms that stamps, signatures and seals have been evaluated and authenticated.

How much does it cost?

Each embassy has its own price list.

Generally, the embassies charge per document/per legalization stamp. The embassy’s service fee may vary depending on the type of document to be legalized, for example the price for private documents differs from commercial ones.

Some embassies may also charge based on a percentage of the commercial invoices.

Some embassies offer express service at an additional cost.

Can I get a refund if I no longer need my documents legalized after submitting them to the embassy?

No, the application fee is non-refundable.

Can I get a refund if I legalized the wrong document?

No, the application fee is not refundable if you legalized the wrong document.

Which document do I need to legalize at the embassy?

It differs between embassies. We therefore recommend checking with the local authority where the document is to be used, to get the correct information about which document is required.

Is there a requirement for the document to be translated for the embassy to be able to legalize?

Some embassies require all documents to be translated into the local language. Some embassies accept documents in English. It is the applicant’s responsibility to find out whether the document needs to be translated or not.

What is the process?

Before a document is handed over to an embassy, it must be legalized by the Department of Foreign Affairs. All embassies in Sweden have this requirement.

Some embassies in Sweden accept that you send in the documents by post, others require that the documents be handed in at the embassy through a visit.

If you have documents to be legalized by an embassy, you are most welcome to contact us and we will help you through the entire process.

How long does it take for the embassy to legalize my document?

Many embassies in Sweden have a processing time of 1-2 weeks after the application is complete. If the application is handled by post, it takes a little longer. Some embassies offer express service at an additional cost.

If you have any questions about legalization through the embassy, do not hesitate to contact us.