Before documents can be legalized at the embassy, they first need to be legalized/stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Legalisation – Ministry of Foreign Affairs step by step:

1. place an order and pay on this page.

2. Send documents to:
Box 7145
10387 Stockholm

3. Once the document has been legalized, it is then sent to your address.


Visit us at, Kungsgatan 37, 5th floor, 11156, Stockholm.

What is UD legalization?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs legalizes Swedish documents that are requested by or must be presented to a foreign authority. UD legalization is a stamp that certifies that the signature on a document is genuine.

What is the cost of UD legalization?

You will be able to see the price on this page before completing your order.

What do you need to submit for UD legalization?

Documents to be legalized

Copy of applicant’s passport ID page. (If it is for signature, we need a copy of the ID page of the passport of the person signing)

Please keep in mind that some documents need to be notarized first. It is possible to choose a notarization service when you place the order on the website.

How long does it take for documents to be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

We work as efficiently as possible, it can take from 1 to 5 working days.

Which documents can be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly?

  • general documents from a governmental Swedish authority
  • grades/certificates from universities and colleges
  • documents/documents from Försäkringskassan and Arbetsförmedlingen
  • documents/documents from the National Archives
  • documents/documents that are not issued in Sweden and which have been certified by the respective country’s embassy/consulate in Sweden
  • name signature of doctor, licensed pharmacist, licensed veterinarian, midwife and others from the National Board of Health and Welfare or
  • Agricultural Agency legitimized occupations
  • register extracts and other police documents
  • Swedish documents/documents signed by Notary Public
  • Swedish documents/documents (invoice, VAT statement, certificate of origin, trademark registration and other import and export documents) signed by the Swedish Chamber of Commerce
  • marriage certificate/marriage certificate from civil marriage officiants
  • translations made by an authorized translator appointed by the Kammarkollegiet.

Which documents need notarization first before being legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Usually the following documents must be notarized:

  • Copies that do not have a signature in the original
  • Documents issued by private individuals
  • Authorities
  • Grades/documents from schools other than universities and colleges
  • Invoices, VAT statement, certificate of origin, trademark registration and other import and export documents (these can also be certified by the Chamber of Commerce)
  • Actions from banks, lawyers, private companies
  • Documents from county council archives and municipal archives
  • Marriage certificate from non-civil marriage officiants (Church of Sweden, foreign religious communities in Sweden)
  • Documents translated by a translator who is not authorized by the Chamber of Commerce.